"Out of Darkness" is the seventh episode of the first season of Star Wars Rebels. It is the seventh episode of the series overall. It was released on November 3, 2014 on WatchDisneyXD.com, before making its television debut on November 10, 2014 on Disney XD.
Aboard the Phantom, Hera, Ezra and Sabine were on the run from a squadron of TIE Fighters after making an assault on an Imperial convoy. Hera put in all her skills to evade the pursuing fighters and one by one they ended up crashing or destroyed. The Rebels lost their pursuers and returned safely to the Ghost, however the Phantom suffered minor damage to its steering and fuel line.
As they traveled to their next destination to meet their Intel, Fulcrum, Kanan and Hera both admit their fight against the Empire was getting more difficult, especially when they underestimated their target’s defenses. Sabine became very frustrated because Hera and Kanan wouldn't tell her who their contact was. Feeling like she is not trusted, Sabine demanded to join Hera’s next mission where she would be meeting Fulcrum with supplies for them.
Meanwhile, Zeb, Ezra and Chopper were working on repairs on the Phantom only for it to be turned into another quarrel against the three of them, leaving the damaged fuel line unchecked. Sabine and Hera took off in the Phantom and headed for Fort Anaxes, an Asteroid Field base once used by the Old Republic during the Clone Wars. They didn't find Fulcrum but they did find the crates. While loading them aboard the Phantom, Sabine admitted why she felt frustrated because when she was a Imperial Cadet she trusted the Empire, followed their orders blindly and it turned into a nightmare for her. She also felt they couldn't fight the Empire alone which is why she wanted to know if she can be trusted, especially with secret Intel and most of all knowing that their fight is not all for nothing. Hera tells her all she needed to know was to have faith in their Rebellion and someday there would be a long term plan a lot bigger than themselves, bigger than Lothal, bigger than the outer rim.
When they return to gather up the rest of the crates, they found a few gone, more like dragged away into the abandoned hanger by someone or something. Sabine and Hera decided to enter the dark hanger and investigate. The found one of the crates torn open and noticing claw marks, they assumed they were not alone. They heard a lot of monstrous squealing and then out of the darkness appeared a group of deadly creatures known as Fyrnocks. They chased Sabine and Hera out of the hanger but didn’t come out themselves because they were sensitive to sunlight.
Hera and Sabine gathered up the rest of the crates quick and just before they could take off they realized there was a fuel leak, stemming from the unrepaired damage that the Phantom suffered during their escape from the TIE Fighters on Lothal. To make things worse, many asteroids block the sun that shun over the base and with a massive one flying overhead, it would block the sun out long enough for the Fynocks to make Hera and Sabine their meal.
Using abandoned explosives to kill the creatures, Sabine and Hera managed to hold them off long enough for the Ghost to arrive in time to rescue them and escape the base. Once back on board, Ezra, Zeb and Chopper apologized for not checking the fuel line and promised to make it up to Hera and Sabine by making full repairs to the Phantom. Meanwhile, Sabine now felt she could trust her fellow Rebels, even Hera, better now and had faith that someday they would not always be fighting this battle alone.
- Taylor Gray as Ezra Bridger
- Freddie Prinze, Jr. as Kanan Jarrus
- Steven Blum as Garazeb Orrelios
- Tiya Sircar as Sabine Wren
- Vanessa Marshall as Hera Syndulla
- Ashley Eckstein (Uncredited) as Fulcrum
- The working title of this episode was "Repairs".
- This is the first episode in which the Stormtroopers do not appear.
- This is the third episode in which neither Agent Kallus nor The Inquisitor appear.
- An ARC-170 starfighter and an LAAT/iRepublic Gunship can be seen among the ruins of the abandoned Republic Base.
- This episode has a similar plot to the 2000 Sci-Fi/Horror film Pitch Black, in that the predatory monsters cannot live in sunlight.
- There is a continuity error early in the episode. When the Phantom docks with the Ghost after Hera returns from attacking an Imperial supply convey, she docks nose-first. But while Zeb, Ezra and Chopper are performing repairs, the Phantom's interior gives the appearance that it is docked rear-first. When Hera and Sabine depart to rendezvous with Fulcrum, it is docked nose-first again.