This episode is the first installment of a multi-part storyline, followed by "Gathering Forces".
While attending Jedi training with Kanan, Ezra was not feeling up to it, nor was he in a very good mood because it was Empire Day, celebrating the fifteenth anniversary of when the Galactic Empire came to power. After they spot three TIE Fighters flying overhead and landing at a nearby spaceport, the two Jedi head to their location.
The Pilots entered a nearby bar and investigated the customers, especially those who were Rodians. The Rebels were present in the bar, but the Pilots did not recognize them and left. The Rebels learn from Jho, the bartender that the Empire had blockaded Lothal, sending TIE Pilots on search patrols, locking down all ports and putting Destroyers in orbit. They guess that the Empire was, for some reason, looking for a certain Rodian. However, this gave them little concern as they had special plans for Empire Day. Ezra, however, chose to opt-out on this mission as he was still feeling depressed and wished to be left alone.
He returned to his tower sad and with wonder. Earlier, he had spotted one of the TIE Pilots holding a photo of a Rodian and recognized him to be someone known as Tseebo. Through the force, he suddenly heard the voices of his parents and came to know where Tseebo was.
In Capital City, the citizens and Imperials were celebrating Empire Day with Minister Tua, Commandant Aresko and Baron Rudor hosting the celebration. Meanwhile, Agent Kallus was still on duty searching for Tseebo while the Rebels were preparing something special for Empire Day. During the celebration, Minister Tua presented to the citizens their new and latest Imperial TIE fighter, the TIE Advanced v1. Sabine and Zeb distracted the Imperials and citizens with a display of fireworks while Kanan planted a detonator on the new TIE Fighter. Kanan nearly got caught by a Stormtrooper until Ezra showed up and dragged him away pretending he was his father. The planted detonator went off, destroying the TIE Fighter. The Rebels made a quick getaway as Minister Tua furiously ordered the Stormtroopers to hunt down the ones responsible for the fighter's destruction. They not only spot Agent Kallus on the scene but also The Inquisitor. The Rebels made their way to the rendezvous point but Hera informed them to abort because the streets were blocked. Ezra led the group to a place where they could hide while Zeb made his way back to the Ghost.
Sabine and Kanan followed Ezra to an abandoned house which happened to be Ezra’s old home before living on the streets. While inside, Ezra found Tseebo, the Rodian that the Imperials were looking for in the basement. He was known to be a worker for the Imperial Information Office and was implanted with cybernetic circuits. He began to randomly speak out details on Imperial Intel, which explained why the Empire was looking for him. While Sabine tried to access Tseebo’s cybernetic circuits, Ezra went down to the basement. While he was gone, Kanan and Sabine learn from Tseebo that Empire Day was also Ezra’s birthday, which explained why he had been feeling depressed all day.
Down in the basement, Ezra found lots of old stuff that his parents used to do underground broadcasting, speaking out against the Empire. Sabine managed to access Tseebo’s circuitry which revealed five-year plans and information that could threaten the Empire. After seeing all this Intel, the Rebels decided to smuggle Tseebo off Lothal but knowing with the Empire having the planet on lockdown, it would be tricky.
After taking out a couple of troopers, they hijacked an Imperial Troop Transport and made a run for it out of the city, with Agent Kallus in pursuit. Hera, Chopper and Zeb arrived with the Ghost and came in low to pick up, Ezra, Sabine, Kanan and Tseebo. Even though they escaped Agent Kallus, Five TIE Fighters showed up and attacked, with The Inquisitor leading the squadron in a new TIE Advanced. As everyone manned their weapons, Tseebo regained his senses and revealed knowledge on what happened to Ezra’s parents...
- Taylor Gray as Ezra Bridger
- Freddie Prinze, Jr. as Kanan Jarrus
- Steven Blum as Garazeb Orrelios / Alton Kastle / Stormtrooper Commander
- Tiya Sircar as Sabine Wren
- Vanessa Marshall as Hera Syndulla
- David Shaughnessy as Cumberlayne Aresko / Myles Grint / Stormtrooper
- Kath Soucie as Maketh Tua / Mira Bridger
- Jason Isaacs as The Grand Inquisitor
- David Oyelowo as Alexsandr Kallus
- Dee Bradley Baker as Ephraim Bridger / Jho
- Brent Spiner as Gall Trayvis
- Peter MacNicol as Tseebo
- David Acord as Lead TIE Pilot / Pilot #2
- An old LAAT/i gunship from the Clone Wars-Era can been seen above Old Jho's Pit Stop, sporting Kowakian monkey-lizard artwork. Due to the similar look, this could potentially be the same gunship used by Obi-Wan Kenobi during the Battles of Teth, Rishi Moon, and Ryloth.
- As of this episode, Ezra is fifteen.
- In this episode, it is revealed that Ezra had been living on the streets since he was seven years old.
- Emperor Palpatine makes a brief appearance on the Holonet viewscreen in this episode.
- Tseebo wears a Borg Construct Aj^6, a device that was worn by Lobot in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
- A "phase 1" Clone Trooper helmet can be seen in the bar behind the bartender and the front of a Republic Gunship acted as the doorway.
- Dee Bradley Baker who provided the voice of the Clone Troopers in Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series, provides the voice of Ephraim Bridger and Jho.
- When Sabine accesses the information implanted in Tseebo, schematics for the AT-AT Walker, TIE Bomber and Imperial Landing Craft appear on display.
- During the Empire Day celebration in Capital City, a parade adaptation to The Imperial March can be heard.
- During the HoloNet report, text on the bottom of the screen translates to a story of rabid Loth-cats attacking residents of the BooBoo Farm.
- During the Holonet News of Emperor Palpatine announcing the birth of the Empire he is flanked by Two of his Royal Guard's but in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith he is flanked by Grand Vizer Mas Amedda and Administrative aide Sly Moore.
- In an early draft of the script, Tseebo was introduced to the Ezra family through a family friend, named Cob Tier.
- All of Tseebo's Huttese dialogue was first written out in English, before being translated by Pablo Hidalgo of the Lucasfilm Story Group.
- When the advanced TIE is brought out, there's a Stormtrooper standing on both platforms the TIE is resting on, but when Kanan places the bomb and it detonates, the troopers are gone.